- 5 lb chicken, cut up
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- SPICE BLEND (you’ll have plenty left over, it’s great on chicken)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- FLOUR COATING
- 1 1/5 cups self-rising flour
- black pepper
- celery salt
- Combine brine ingredients in a bowl.
- Place chicken in a small bowl and pour brine over chicken. Chicken should be completely submerged in the brine.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After an hour pour off the brine and rinse chicken off thoroughly, shaking off excess water.
- Mix together the spice blend ingredients.
- Place chicken on a plate or tray and season generously. You will have plenty of seasonings left over.
- Season the flour with salt, pepper and celery salt. Taste the flour, it should taste seasoned.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the flour.
- Let sit for 10 minutes until the flour absorbs a little.
- Recoat the chicken in flour.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 325.
- Place chicken in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Fry dark meats together and white meats together. Cooking time will vary based on the size of the chicken and method used.
- Juices will run clear when done.
- Drain on paper towels on a wire rack. (if needed keep cooked chicken in a 225 degree preheated oven to keep warm while the other chicken cooks.
- Serve hot!!
Cooking time will vary based on the size of your chicken parts.
Feel free to change up the seasonings or keep it simple with just salt and pepper!
I prefer using smaller, organic chickens. The larger ones take much longer to fry.